Sunday, March 27, 2011

Productive Weekend

I am so pooped, I don't even know where to start! Since most of our weekends from May through August are spent somewhere out on the boat, we figured we might as well knock off some things on our to-do list.

#1. The yard:
We have been putting this off for almost 2 years now! (Yes, we cut our grass...it just wasn't very purty.) Here's a pic of when we bought it two years ago:


She looks like a little abandoned homeless child. We immediately de-weeded when we bought the house...and about a 6 months later we realized the oak tree was indeed dead, so we (Benjie) cut it down while saying a-many-a-prayer that it didn't fall on our house. After lots of blood, sweat & tears....this is what it looks like as of today:


We had our new palm delivered a few weeks ago and Benjie and I spent 12 solid hours yesterday planting, mulching, de-weeding, and cleaning.


We still have a little bit left to do, but for the most part, we are done. And I made sure everything we planted were perennials (with the exception of the marigolds), so (hopefully) we won't be doing this again next summer! :) 


#2. The laundry room cabinets:
 We are the world's worst about starting a project and letting it 'simmer' for 2 weeks before we (meaning "I") finally make ourselves finish. I was sick of looking at all of our junk unorganized possessions. We finally finished!



Woo hoo! We need a standing ovation for that one! I want to repaint the walls. Not quite sure on the color yet...maybe a pretty muted sea blue? 

 Now the question is...are we going to do the kitchen? Eventually. 
When? Not any time soon.

I also did a 'fun' project this week with my new toy -- a Brother sewing/embroidery machine!

Now, by no means am I a 'sewer'. This is the girl that had no idea what a bobbin was. But I have been slowly working my way through youtube videos and online tutorials, trying to teach myself how to sew and embroider. This was my very first project:


Not too shabby for just learning how to thread my needle the week before! :) I even added a little 'ruffle' to it (wish I had made it fuller but didn't buy enough fabric) and cute jute trim. Of course I secured everything with velcro so I can wash it in the future. 

Well friends, that's my last week in a nutshell. I am now working on our my upstairs room -- a space that's ALL MINE! :)

Hope everyone has a great week! 

1 comment :