Friday, December 30, 2011

Dear Lily Kate. . .

You are now 9 days old. It's been the most hectic and the most wonderful 9 days of my life. I haven't been able to put you down long enough to get anything done! You are now asleep in your swing, and I know you will be awake in less than an hour to eat. I still can't believe that you are finally here! Mama had a rough pregnancy getting you here, but it was worth it and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Due to Mama's high blood pressure, my doctor decided to take you a few weeks early. You were born one day shy of 38 weeks. I went to the doctor on Tuesday night, December 20 around 9:00pm, and was given a medicine called Cervidil to get my body ready for labor. Me and your Daddy sat and watched TV for a while and then we both went to sleep. Around 5:40 the next morning, the nurse came in and gave me another medicine called Pitocin to start my labor. Ten minutes later, around 5:50, my water broke on its own and I immediately started feeling strong contractions. Around 6:15, I asked for the epidural and got it around 6:30. Mama felt soooo much better after then! I slept and visited with your grandparents until around 11:30am when I started feeling a sharp pain in my left hip (where your spine always was!). Nurse Shelly checked me and I was 9 1/2 cm and said she'd bring the anesthesiologist back in to give me another dose of medicine. He came in very quickly and Shelly told me to rest up -- we'd start pushing at 12:00. At noon, they started setting everything up but Shelly told me not to push until Mama's doctor got there because you were really close. Grandmother Susie and Daddy were there trying to keep me calm, but I think they were the ones that needed help! I remember telling Daddy to stop rubbing my leg because I couldn't feel it. He was probably the most nervous! After the doctor arrived, Mama pushed through about 5 contractions and you were here! You were born at 12:32 pm weighing 5 pounds 11 ounces and 18 inches long. I remember Shelly saying that a lady who delivered the day before had her baby at 12:32 as well. Daddy cut your cord and then they laid you on my chest. It was the best moment of my life. They first thing I said was that you were so pretty! You swallowed fluid in the birth canal so they quickly took you over to the warmer and started sucking and clearing everything out. I was very scared for you, but everything turned out okay and you are a very healthy baby girl. I prayed for you throughout my whole pregnancy that you'd be healthy and we were both blessed on your birthday. 

Papaw Billy & Grandpaw Gary waiting for your arrival.

You were just a few minutes old.

Mama holding you before they took you to the nursery.

You are such a beautiful baby.

Our amazing nurse, Shelly.

Getting cleaned and examined in the nursery.

We stayed in the hospital the next two days. You had several visitors to come see you and Mama, Daddy, and Grandmother Susie talked and laughed and ate snacks and fought over who was going to hold you. Daddy gave you your very first bottle. Daddy also shut the hospital down over you!!! The nurses forgot to tell us that you had a tracker on your ankle and when Daddy took you out in the hall to let you look out the window, we heard and alarm and "CODE PINK...CODE PINK" over the loudspeaker. All of the doors in the hospital locked and the elevators shut down. We were all so embarrassed (especially your Daddy) but the hospital staff came and checked on you and everything was okay. We still pick on Daddy about that. :)

Daddy feeding you for the first time.

Your hospital portraits. Everyone said you looked like a little doll. (I think so too!)

This was just after the nurse brought you to us the next morning. You were so warm and bundled up! 

 The infamous ankle bracelet. :)

Grandmother Susie holding you in the sunlight to help your jaundice.



We got to take you home around lunch on Friday, December 23. Mama had several beautiful outfits for you to wear home, but you were just to small to fit into any of them. You ended up wearing the only premie outfit that we had. We packed everything up and headed home. I've never seen Daddy drive as careful as he did on the way home with you!


This was the best Christmas with you here. We woke up and opened presents with Daddy and Grandmother Susie. You were only 4 days old and Santa came to see you! Your grandparents came by to see you and we just relaxed the rest of the day.

Christmas morning...

Santa came to see you!

Your first stocking.

Your Santa outfit that Mama and Daddy got you was just a tad big. :)


The day after Christmas (Monday), we had to take you to the hospital to get blood drawn to check your jaundice level. Your first doctor appointment was Tuesday. He said you were very healthy, we just need to get your jaundice cleared up. Wednesday, your great grandparents came to see you and then me and your Daddy left you for the first time with Grandmother Susie to go eat with Daddy's family. Thursday, you had your newborn portraits. You were such a good baby, but your tummy made you fuss towards the end of the session.

Our first "sneak peek" of your newborn session.

It's now Friday. We are inviting all of your family over tomorrow for a New Years' fish/shrimp fry. Your Grandmother Susie has been here since you were born and is supposed to leave Sunday. She has been showing Mama how to take care of you and helping with the rough "2:00am feeding". We all joke that you are already spoiled rotten. You eat 12-16 ounces a day and sleep most of the time. You eat every 4 hours and have been waking up on your own about 15 minutes before your next feeding. I have already taken about 1000 pictures of you...





Your first evening home.


Look at that pout!

And Mama though you were going to be able to wear these...

Your first sponge bath. You did not like it AT ALL.

I still can't believe you are here. I still can't believe you are mine. I still can't believe how beautiful you are. Mama worried for so long that something would go wrong while you were in my tummy or when you were born, but God was watching over us, Baby Girl. I thank Him for blessing us with you and giving us the privilege to raise you. You are absolutely PERFECT. I love you so much and although I wish you'd stay this tiny forever, I can't wait to watch you grow up.

I love you Baby Girl,
Mama

"I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him." -1 Samuel 1:27

6 comments :

  1. The crystal mobile was on Pinterest and I just read your birth story and it made me cry! What a beautiful baby and a wonderful story - I am very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful!!! Thanks for following, I found your blog via pinterest :) I was excited when I saw your nursery, we have the same crib! I am in the final stages of decorating our nursery and I can't wait to have it done! Anyway, just wanted to say hi and congrats! Cherish every moment, they grow faster than you can imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word, she is precious. Can't wait to see more from the newborn shoot. I picked a great time to start following your blog! Haha. Congratulations!

    Much love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this!!! so sweet!!!! she is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also saw your pintrest picture. I loved reading your blog and can't wait for more pictures of your sweet baby girl! congrats!

    www.theschaetzhouse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through Kelly's Korner. Congrats on your new sweet baby. She is adorable! I am expecting my first (a boy) in February and can't wait!

    ReplyDelete