Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Lily Kate's First Easter

This was probably one of my most favorite Resurrection Sundays thus far. It felt like I was a kid all over again putting together Lily Kate's Easter basket and putting her in the most adorable little dress and taking her to my home church's Easter service. I know she has no clue what's going on, but one day she will see pictures of her first Easter, and hey, I had so much fun shopping for her! 

I really really wanted to get her a PBK Easter basket but I couldn't justify paying the mega bucks for one when I could make the liner myself. I searched forever (okay, like two months) for the perfect traditional basket, but had no luck. They were either plastic, really small, or really cheap. (I had the same basket all throughout my childhood and would like my children to have the same.) I found this cute basket (with liner) at Target the week before Easter and was able to monogram it in time. I might use this liner as a pattern to make a new liner in the future, but it worked for this year. I also bought purple ribbon to make pretty bows for the sides -- but I ran out of time. 


The Easter Bunny came during the middle of the night and this is what he brought sweet LK...



She got a few toys, a summer hat, two bows, an adorable sailboat smocked bubble, a pearl bracelet,  a Veggie Tales "Princess" DVD as well as this PRECIOUS book...


I mean, how much more perfect of a book could you get a child named Lily for Easter!? It has a Bible Verse on each page that goes along with the story. Benjie also mega-surprised me this year. We really don't do "big" gifts except for Christmas and birthdays, so I was really surprised when I opened this...


Can you believe he picked this out all by himself!? I seriously teared up when I opened it. I always joked when we were dating that owning something from Tiffany's (and that signature blue box!) was on my bucket list. I have wanted a (real) pearl bracelet for quite some time and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect Easter gift. It's such a special reminder of our baby's first Easter. Weeks before Easter we had gotten Lily Kate a cute little pearl bracelet to put in her basket and I had no clue we'd both be sporting our new pearl bracelets on Easter morning. 


Breakfast at church was served at 9:00am, and the Easter service began at 10:00. LK made it through the first 15 minutes of worship when I had to take her to the nursery. I missed the rest of the service, but I got to spend some quiet quality time with my baby girl.



Easter bunnies, colorful eggs, and new clothes are fun, but it is very important for us to teach our children the meaning behind Easter -- as well as Christmas. As long as she is old enough to enjoy the 'fun stuff' she will know why we celebrate Jesus being born, dying on the cross, and going to Heaven for our sins.

After church, we went home and got a few pictures before lunch...



(Me, LK and my mom)



 (My sweet family of THREE!)

My mom cooked a delicious lunch, complete with a crockpot ham (put the ham in a crockpot, pack the outside with brown sugar and pour in a little coke and let 'er cook). Afterwards was a blessing because the whole house (including Lily Kate and my 9 month old nephew) took a good nap. There's nothing better than Sunday naps after church and a good lunch!

During our stay at my parents, we came to the conclusion that Lily Kate LOVES to be outside and she LOVES to swing. Not a battery powered swing, but a real front porch swing. She will sit in our lap for HOURS looking around and without saying a word. We may live in a subdivision temporarily, but this is a little country girl for sure.

(Swinging with Granny)

(One day we will live in the country again!)

So now there's a mission to find this baby (and us) a swing. We love to sit outside in our rocking chairs on our back porch, but she somehow knows the difference. We have skylights and a ceiling fan on our back porch so we can't install a ceiling-mounted porch swing, but we are looking for something with a stand.

Last week I got Benjie to stop by Target while he was in town and pick up two more baskets. They didn't have anymore of the white, but they had two "natural" wood baskets with striped liners. I can always paint them to my liking. They were 50% off so they were just $6 each!

(Yes I am one of those people that plans for years [children] ahead!)

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Resurrection Sunday as well! 
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead... -1 Peter 1:3

3 comments :

  1. She is so precious!! I found your blog through Pinterest and I panicked when you took it offline. I'm totally copying a couple of elements from your beautiful nursery.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was our little man's first Easter also. I had such a hard time coming up with an Easter basket. Like you, I had the same one forever and wanted him to have the same experience. I ended up making one also. Lily Kate is gorgeous and you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful Ashley! Lily Kate is simply gorgeous!!! I loved her Easter Basket. :) Happy Spring to you and your beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete