Sunday, February 21, 2016

Catsup (A.K.A., where we've been the past 2 years...)

I'm dusting off the keyboard and getting back into my blog! Why? You'll see... A LOT has happened since I left off. (This post is a very quick 'Spark Notes' version!)

One of my last posts here was about our trip to Seaside, FL. Shortly before that we had made the decision to grow our family and try for baby #2. There was a little bit of preparation, but we had hoped we'd be pregnant before the end of 2014.


We did not conceive as quickly as we had hoped. (I'll post our story about that next!) But through much prayer, I got a positive pregnancy test the week before Easter 2015! That's not all...


We found out we were having twins! I secretly hoped for a boy and a girl, and...

That's what we got! :) We named them Brooks and Lola.

To summarize it, my pregnancy was rough. I was on bed rest most of the time and I was completely maxed out on blood pressure medication by 18 weeks (for chronic blood pressure, not pre-eclampsia). I joke that I went into a "mental coma" for 7 months. The day before my 30 week mark, I had a routine ultrasound. Brooks had a cord malfunction and I had to drive across the street and deliver immediately. Brooks was 2 lbs 4oz, and Lola was 2 lbs 14oz. (Since some are sensitive, I won't post their NICU pictures here, but there are plenty on my Instagram feed!)


The next three months were rougher than my pregnancy. My hormones were crazy, I was pumping every 2-3 hours, and we had two babies in intensive care. We anticipated they would be able to come home around their 37th week (which would have been around Thanksgiving) but that day had come and gone and they were still battling apnea and bradycardia. Brooks ended up staying a total of 75 days in the NICU and Lola stayed 85 days, about two weeks past their due date. 


Brooks came home first and Lola came home Christmas Eve. It was the best Christmas EVER. I knew the Lord felt my pain from the last 3 months and He heard my cry to have my family together for Christmas. He's such an awesome God!

Christmas Day 2015 was one of the best days of my life (at least in the top five). I just sat and held my babies all. day. long. We were finally all together and celebrating the birth of Christ!

Life lately has just been adjusting from a family of three to a family of five. I can't believe I'm saying this, but in a lot of ways, it's been easier than I imagined. Mainly because they're just such good babies! They still sleep all the time and only cry if they're hungry. Lily Kate has had a bit of time adjusting, but as most say -- she quickly got demoted from being the baby and getting all of our attention. She's getting better as the days go by and she adores them both! 

Right now, the babies are 4.5 months old. I'm going to do a detailed update on them soon, but they're both doing very well! Lola had many issues with premature-related apnea but she's finally outgrown it and will be getting off her hospital monitor in just a few weeks. Other than that they're both completely healthy and I'm SO thankful! 


I really want to document our crazy life right now. I enjoy going back and reading about LK's first few years ('cause I can't remember all that!) and I regret not keeping it up now. When I started my Etsy shop, I sort of got out of my blogging groove. I think that there's a mental capacity for the amount of time you can spend on a computer per day and I was spending all of my extra time (usually when LK napped or late at night) fulfilling orders and creating new items for my shop. 

(For those who are wondering, my shop is currently closed for custom/personalized orders and probably will remain closed for the rest of 2016. I wish there were 36 hours in a day so I could squeeze some orders and new designs in, but I consider myself lucky to get a shower every day! Instant downloads will always remain listed. It's definitely not the end of my shop and I have big dreams and plans for the future. But as they say, "Babies don't keep", so I'm soaking up the best time of my life.)

Oh I forgot to mention...


...that we're building a house this year -- our "forever home". It's always been my dream to have one special place that our babies can call "home" and we were blessed to be able to purchase 22 acres and start our build this year. It's been a CRAZY year so far and I think it's only going to get crazier!

I also did a little quick re-designing and simplifying. I hope it's easier to read than before. I look forward to sharing our crazy year with you! 

XXOO

No comments :

Post a Comment